Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Time for study (but I am blogging instead)

"I have made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to make it it short"
- Blaise Pascal

I have a huge amount of studying to accomplish and am going to run six miles tonight, but I can't relax so I decided to post here first. I was re-reading some of Lewis Carroll's, "Through the Looking Glass." When I was little we had an illustrated copy of "Through the Looking Glass." The pictures in it were so graphic that as a child I used to pour over them again and again. The personalities were so perplexing to me. (the Walrus and the Carpenter). There was one particular section that always horrified my sister and I-- it was the part where the Walrus and the Carpenter were crying for the oysters they were going to eat. Here is the part:



" I weep for you, "the Walrus said:
"I deeply sympathise."
With sobs and tears he sorted out Those of the largest size,
Holding his pocket-handkerchief
Before his streaming eyes.



Then here is Alice's response.

"I like the Walrus best, "said Alice:
"because he was a little worried for the poor oysters."
"He ate more than the Carpenter,
though," said Tweedledee. . .
"That was mean!" Alice said indignantly.
"Then I like the Carpenter best -- if he didn't eat as many as the Walrus."
But he ate as many as he could get,"
said Tweedledum.

There was also a picture toward the end of the book of a winged dragonish monster that was perpetually weeping and sad. I hated it. He was always crying. It is fun to go back over them. I am a sucker for children's books especially classics. :)
PS: I am currently studying the Law Code of Hammurabi and of ancient near eastern civilizations. Interesting fact. We have never found a law code for Egypt.

No comments: