Monday, March 17, 2008

Saint Patrick

I am Patrick, yes a sinner and indeed untaught; yet I am established here in Ireland where I profess myself bishop. I am certain in my heart that "all that I am," I have received from God . . . . . .

The image “http://www.obriensirishcottage.com/uploaded/images/St_Patricks_Day/St_Patrick-banising_snakes-Large.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

. . . . So I live among barbarous tribes, a stranger and exile for the love of God. He himself testifies that this is so. I never would have wanted these harsh words to spill from my mouth; I am not in the habit of speaking so sharply. Yet now I am driven by the zeal of God, Christ's truth has aroused me. I speak out too for love of my neighbors who are my only sons; for them I gave up my home country, my parents and even pushing my own life to the brink of death. If I have any worth, it is to live my life for God so as to teach these peoples; even though some of them still look down on me.
~St. Patrick~


St. Patrick was born in Britain around 440 AD. Late in his childhood, he was captured by Irish raiders and taken to be a slave. His faith, which was not very strong until that point, was bolstered during his enslavement. He escaped when he was 22, and went to live in a monastery in Britain. However, he had a vision in which voices told him that it was his mission to go back to Ireland. He departed for Ireland after reasoning and fighting within himself for he did not have the faith or courage to go back to the country that had enslaved him.

Thus, it was, he became one of the first Christian missionaries to go to Ireland. His mission was largely successful, and he set up many churches and schools there. He converted many people to Christianity. He also expected that he could be killed or imprisoned at any time for trying to convert people to Christianity. St. Patrick is said to have driven the snakes out of Ireland. This is a metaphor for driving out the druids and pagans, which Patrick did by converting people to Christianity. There never were any real snakes on Ireland, however, the metaphor stuck.






No comments: